Two too many, now my focus is on Lyft

For some time I have driven rideshare on Saturday and Sunday mornings.   My rideshare driving was successful in the sense that I reached my initial goal-- of funding my daughter's study abroad opportunity.  Hence the name, Driving to Spain.  I drove on weekends to fund her trip to Spain.

Initially, I imagined shutting down this endeavor all together once the goal was met.  Surprisingly, what I found was that I really enjoyed meeting people, and helping fill a need for them.  So, I have continued to drive with the new horizon goal being a beach trip for my family in the Summer of 2020. 

While working toward the study abroad goal, I frequently deployed the Lyft and Uber app at the same time.  It would cause a dance when both were open and one pinged....basically meaning I had to shut the other to avoid double pints on separate platforms.   It was fruitful, particularly in a smaller city like the one I am in that sits in Central Virginia.   However, once the goal was met I decided to dial it back and focus on one platform.  After some thought, that platform ended up being Lyft.

Why?   Lyft genuinely seems less busy here in Virginia so I may be able to make more had I gone the other route.  But for whatever reason, and perhaps just by pure luck, I have had better ride experiences with Lyft here in my hometown.    I have met some really nice and interesting riders, they seem to tip more regularly, and I have had less drama that with Uber.   I'm not sure why, and perhaps it is because Uber has a bigger customer base here locally, but I have just had more enjoyable days with Lyft.

For other rideshare drivers, have you had similar experiences where one service seemed to shine above the other?  If so, drop a comment and let us know about it...what made the difference,  why one was better, and which one did you ultimately choose.   This may help folks who are considering rideshare driving have some early considerations.

Be safe everyone, and have a great week.

Comments