Hurry, hurry.

As I sat in the Jacksonville, Florida International Airport I took a minute to relax and watch the world go by.  Oddly, I am in the midst of reading, "Thank You For Being Late" a book by Thomas L Friedman.    In the book, Freidman talks about the quickening pace of technology, climate change and politics and those are intertwined.    Freidman points to 2007 as the year when things really hit hyperdrive.

I watched the world go by in sadness.  Nowhere is there a better place to see the unforgiving hurriedness and "busy"ness of the world today.  You can literally feel the stress and tension in the air.   Folks are moving as quickly as their bodies can take them, often for no other reason than the sense that they must have to move quickly.

When did all this begin?   Where or will it ever end   Technology has outstripped humans ability to keep up.  Thus, many of the tools today put stress on your bodies and our wellbeing by pushing us to try to keep up when it isn't possible.  Our tools become weapons against our wellness.
I will make it a point to stop daily, and if not mediate, at the very least I will spend a few minutes just clearing my mind and feeling "okay" with going at my speed.    Join me?

What are some ways that you deal with the quicking pace of society?  What tools have you used that you have found helpful?

Comments